Two-Year Home Residency Requirement 212(e)

Some, but not all, exchange visitors are subject to this requirement. Through this provision, the Department of State helps ensure that your home country benefits from your educational and cultural exchange activity upon your return from the U.S.

If you are subject to this requirement this means that: 

  • You will not be able to change from J-1 status while in the U.S.
  • You will not be eligible for an H1-B visa, L visa, or immigrant visa at a U.S. Consulate until you have physically resided in your country of residency for two years. 

​For the terms of the requirement, please review item 1a on the back of your DS-2019 form. If you have any questions about the two year home residency requirement, including whether or not you are subject to it, please ask the U.S. Consular officer when you apply for your visa, or ask our office during new J Student Intern Orientation.