On-Campus Employment for J Students

Students enrolled in classes full-time are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week on-campus at Georgia Tech during fall and spring semester. J students may work full time on-campus at Georgia Tech (more than 20 hours per week) during school breaks and vacation semesters.

On-campus employment means that you are paid by Georgia Tech or working at a Georgia Tech location with an employer that is contracted to provide services to students, such as a food store in the Student Center or GA Tech's bookstore. 

J students are eligible to begin on-campus employment once it has been approved by a Responsible Officer (i.e. international student advisor).   The work authorization is valid for one year. J students must complete the e-form every year prior to the previous year's authorization expires to renew the work permission.

On campus employment eligibility:

If they continue to remain in good academic standing and engage in a full course of study.
Fall/Spring academic semesters: Maximum of 20 hours per week.
Semester breaks, Official school/Summer Vacation: Full-time on-campus employment is allowed during this time. Full-time work is considered to be 20+ hours/week. (Exception: if a student is required to register for the summer, such as a GRA/GTA, then only 20 hours per week maximum is permitted).
Employment between programs (BS to MS, or MS to PhD): On-campus employment is not permitted after program completion, unless the student has a new I-20 and plans to enroll the following semester. See and International Student Advisor for details.


1. Obtain employment details including:

  • type of employment (assistantship, fellowship, scholarship or hourly student assistant position)
  • employer name and email address
  • name of hiring department
  • employer's address

2. Login to iStart and complete the On-Campus Work Authorization e-form. 

3. You will be emailed once the request has been approved by your hiring department and OIE.  If approved, you may begin employment

4. Apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).  If you do not have a SSN, you will need to apply for one.  For information more information visit OIE's SSN website.