Exchange Waivers

Exchange Waivers are out-of-state tuition waivers that fall into a different category than the waivers that GT academic units request from the Financial Aid Office. Exchange Waivers are handled by the Office of International Education (OIE) and can be awarded to incoming exchange students (participating in official, bilateral programs) and they can also be awarded to students in exchange-based scholarship/fellowship programs. The scholarship/fellowship programs must have exchange of students as their core mission, and mutual understanding as the core ideal. Typically, these scholarship/fellowship programs will include funding students (both U.S. students going abroad and international students coming to the U.S.)


  1. For incoming exchange students who are participating in official, bilateral exchange programs: When their DS-2019s are prepared in OIE, they are put on a list to receive the Exchange Waiver. Note that the term "exchange student" here refers to a very specific set of students who come to GT as a result of an official agreement and who typically obtain all of their application instructions from a packet of information their home university received from OIE. Many students who call themselves "exchange" are not eligible for this waiver, so if there are questions about whether a student will receive this waiver, please contact OIE. It is not safe to assume that every student who says he or she is an "exchange student" will be receiving this waiver.
  2. For students in exchange-based scholarship/fellowship programs: Most importantly, it is critical to understand that it is the sponsoring organization or program that may be eligible, not the individual students. Organizations eligible to have their students receive these waivers are those that operate programs for genuine exchange (which means either a two-way exchange of students in a formal program or formal programs with elements of culture sharing and outreach that involve students from both institutions included in the program requirements).


Eligible and Non-Eligible Organizations


An organization whose scholars are NOT eligible for this waiver says in its information, for example: "The program is designed to foster democratization and the transition to market economies in _______ through intensive academic and professional training."

Programs such as Muskie Fellows and non-Fulbright programs of LASPAU and Amideast are not eligible for these waivers.

An organization whose scholars ARE eligible for this waiver says in its information, for example: "International education exchange is the most significant current project designed to continue the process of humanizing mankind to the point, we would hope, that nations can learn to live in peace." And, "[the program] is designed to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries."

Programs currently identified as eligible for this waiver are: the Bobby Jones Fellowship, Naumann-Etienne Foundation Fellowship, DAAD Fellowship, Eisenman Exchange Fellowship, and Fulbright students who are placed at GT by the Institute for International Education, by LASPAU, and by Amideast.

What is Required of Organizations

Organizations that manage programs eligible for this waiver type must provide a list with the name of the program, the student names, GT id numbers, country of origin, and area of study to OIE each semester by the deadlines shown below. If the sponsoring organization is not able to provide the student's GT id number, OIE will look up student id numbers. If unable to obtain the student id number, OIE will contact the academic unit for assistance in identifying the right student in Banner.


  • June 30th for Fall Semester waivers
  • November 15th for Spring Semester waivers
  • March 15th for Summer Semester waivers

OIE will enter the waivers no later than 3 weeks after the deadlines for those with student id numbers. Any waivers OIE is unable to enter will be reported to the sponsor and the academic unit.

Sponsers should put all of their grantees on the list each semester. No matter how many or few hours a student is registered for, a sponser can request a waiver.

Important Notes

  1. OIE will not accept word of academic unit nor of student that they are sponsored by an eligible organization/program; instead, it is the sponsoring organization that has to provide information about the program and about its students at GT.
  2. If a student fails to pay their in-state tuition (or have it paid for them by an outside entity), they will be subject to the same rules and processes as all other GT students. OIE will not intervene on their behalf if they do not follow Bursar's rules for payment of their in-state tuition and fees.
  3. Sponsoring organizations will not be required to use third party billing for their students receiving the waiver, but they or the student will be responsible for making sure the student stays in compliance with Bursar's rules. If organizations wish to use third party billing, they are welcome to do so, but it will not be a requirement. The Bursar's Office remains the contact on campus for third party billing. The contact for third party billing can be emailed at or by calling 404-894-6323.
  4. Should a student think their waiver has not been applied and they believe they are eligible, they should contact their sponsoring organization to request that information be emailed to with the subject WAIVERS.
  5. It is expected that students will be full-time enrolled while receiving this waiver. It is required that students will be in at least six credit hours.
  6. If students are sponsored for more than one semester, the sponsoring organization has to send confirmation of its students each semester so that OIE can be sure the student is still sponsored by an eligible program/organization. Sponsers should put all of their grantees on the list each semester.
  7. Students must be physically present on the Atlanta campus each semester they receive a waiver.



Questions about waivers awarded by the Financial Aid Office should still be directed to that office

Other questions should be emailed to: