Change of Status From F-1

Students interested in changing status are encouraged to consult with a qualified immigration attorney. 

F-1 or J-1 students are required to notify OIE if they plan to change their immigration status or would like to abandon their status while a change of status application is pending. The process to notify OIE is outlined below:

  1. Login to iStart and review the information in the Change of Status from F1/F2 e-form.
  2. If your change of status has been approved by USCIS or you choose to abandon your F-1 status while an application is pending, complete the e-form to update OIE.  In the e-form, upload proof of your pending or approved change of status.  Examples include:
    • Paper I-94 card issued by Customs and Border Protection along with the corresponding entry visa
    • Electronic I-94 card along with the corresponding entry visa
    • I-797 notice of action containing the I-94 card issued by USCIS
    • Front and back of the U.S. permanent residency card (green card)
    • U.S passport or naturalization documents
  3. An OIE International Student and Scholar Advisor and SEVIS Designated School Official will review the details in your e-form and update your Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record to reflect the change or abandonment of status. 

Important Reminders for All Students with Terminated or Completed F-1 SEVIS Records Due to a Change of Status:

  • After termination or completion of the F-1 student SEVIS record, you will no longer be eligible for F-1 benefits such as on-campus work benefit or off-campus work authorization (OPT or CPT).
  • You will no longer be automatically enrolled in Georgia Tech's international student health insurance plan.
  • You will be responsible for providing the Registrar's Office with proof of the change of status to verify your lawful presence in the U.S. and eligibility to enroll in courses.
  • If employed on-campus, you will be responsible for providing Human Resources with proof of the approved or pending change of status to update your tax and employment documentation.

Additional Considerations for Students with Pending U.S Permanent Residency Applications and Requesting a Termination of Their F-1 Status:

  • It is important to consult with a qualified immigration attorney when considering whether or not to abandon F-1 status while awaiting the approval and change of status associated with a legal permanent residency application. 
  • OIE will no longer be able to make updates to your F-1 SEVIS record after you choose to abandon status. 
  • If the permanent residency application is denied, you will not have an underlying visa status to support your continued stay in the U.S. In these cases, you will need to consult with a qualified immigration attorney about your options. 

This notice applies to all information and resource materials provided by the OIE for the domain and for all other information provided by OIE in any media format. It is provided for informational purposes only, and is not represented to be error free, complete, accurate or current. The information contained herein is not legal advice and should not be used as a substitute for the legal advice or legal opinions of a licensed professional. Users should contact their own personal attorney or licensed professional to obtain appropriate legal advice or other professional counseling with respect to any particular issue or problem.