Q: I am approved for practical training and need a social security card. The Social Security Administration office is currently closed for appointments. What are my options?

A: Georgia Institute of Technology is working closely with the Social Security Administration to make arrangements for in-person applications for individuals who have never applied for a social security card inside the U.S. Individuals who have already applied for a social security card in the past are eligible to apply for a renewal card via the mail-in application process. More information is available about this process at the following link.

Q: Can I continue curricular practical training in a remote environment?

A: Current SEVP guidance states it is possible to continue practical training in a remote environment with your supervisor’s permission and continued supervision of your practical training experience. Students may engage in CPT during their time abroad, provided they are:

  • Enrolled in a program of study in which CPT is integral to the program of study;
  • Their DSO authorized CPT in advance of the CPT start date; and
  • Either the employer has an office outside the United States or the employer can assess student engagement and attainment of learning objectives electronically.

Please contact Career Center to update them with any changes to your employment via CareerBuzz. They will determine if an update is necessary to submit via the Istart portal during this time.

Q: If my internship becomes remote after I have already received my CPT authorization, do I need to update OIE?

A: OIE has a process in place to notify the U.S. government that students participating in CPT will either be participating at the employer address on file in SEVIS or the residential address on file in SEVIS. If your residential address changes, you are required to report this change to OIE within ten days via the Personal Information Update e-form.

Q: If I need to make an update to my current CPT authorization, will I need to pay the Practical Training Fee again?

A: If you have already been authorized for CPT and Career Center is just submitting an update to that existing authorization, then you will not be sent a new link to provide information and you will not need to pay the practical training fee again.

Q: How do I make changes to my Curricular Practical Training dates?

A: Please notify Career Center via CareerBuzz of any changes to your CPT dates. Career Center will share this information with OIE and will work to support you with those changes. Please note you will not be eligible to work outside of the dates listed on your CPT approval.